Skip to main content

Swades


I have been quite busy throughout the month of December. This had restricted me from posting on the blog. But now I am back. And along with me are the blog posts.

I will not deny the fact that I have seen many movies and series while being on this hiatus of mine. But, those did not give me the urgency to talk about it. In fact, I had begun to get bored of these repetitive plot points of the blockbuster movies!

Hence, I began my journey to find entertainment. And to my disbelief, I found it in Bollywood movies.

I had previously seen Swades, when I was a child. It aired on the Television and being a Shah Rukh Khan fan back in the days. I had caught a glimpse.

The movie was not meant for the viewing of children and it failed to appeal to me at that age! But, now in 2018, it blew my mind!

The movie is about an Indian named Mohan, who lives in the USA and works for NASA. The story revolves around Mohan's experiences upon returning to India. This movie is terrific because it provides a real, raw and beautiful insight into India. Unlike all the other Bollywood movies which focus on big cities, this movie takes Mohan to a small village to visit his old Nanny. Mohan respects his Nanny like his mother and hopes to bring her to the USA to live with him.

Mohan's journey takes him deeper and deeper into the real India, he realizes how backdated the thinking is of these villagers. How they still abide by the caste system and do not allow even children to get along with children from other castes. He sees how when a tailor changes profession to a farmer, he is disbanded by the village, letting him and his family with little children to die a slow and horrible death! He sees how the elders won't allow girls to attain education and how they force others to take their life. This film plays with real and serious issues and portrays them with almost perfection.

My favourite scene from the film is that of a little boy selling water in the railway station. The scene shows how privileged we are and how difficult can it be to earn money to meet our daily needs! The scene is heartbreaking and is a proper reflection of real life.

The film is not however without its flaws. The biggest one would be its runtime. It is long! It surely could have been paced up! And the third act seemed unbelievable and felt unwelcomed in this film on harsh reality.

The actors, however, were fantastic and made the long run time feel short. Especially Meelaram, he is one of the best supporting character I have seen in a Bollywood movie. He along with the Postman character inject some humour into the film.

Overall, this movie is a gem and shocked me to my cores. It left me in disbelief on how did this movie got made in this loud and music filled industry that is Bollywood! It is a must watch for sure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have this urge to use Ubuntu

I have been a Windows user forever. I have used almost every version of Windows since, Windows XP. But, now I feel that the core experience of Windows has been stale since XP. We still need the start menu, the file Explorer is basically the same with little to no change. The icons are now modernised, but the base is still the same. New Apps like photos and Groove did bring a breath of fresh air in the Windows ecosystem, but it wore off quite quickly.  Now I find myself craving for new. Since Apple hardware is overpriced, I only have one way quench my thirst for change. Linux, while Linux is not the most popular operating systems in the world. Its distros look quite compelling and attract me. Ubuntu is leading the charge, they are the biggest among the distros. One could say that Ubuntu is the Windows of Linux distros. Hence, it should be stable right?  Who knows maybe one of these days Windows might do something, which might push me over the edge and bring chang...

Someone is back in town!

The third season of Supergirl premiered this week. A series which I first started to watch because of the “hot chick” portraying SuperGirl, has now become of my favourites in Arrowverse. Last season ended with Kara losing the love of her life Mon-El. And this season begins with her questioning her decision! This is the most human that Supergirl is ever going to be. We see her shut off from the rest of the world. Kill Kara one might say and focus on chasing bank robbers and putting them behind bars. She even quits her job! The season premiere tries to be character heavy, something which I was not expecting it to be. The episode, however, introduces plot points for the rest of the season to build on. At first, we see the introduction of a new villain, whose name I have forgotten, a builder who plans to improve his business by levelling the place where the Supergirl statue is built. Next up we see an unknown ship into the ocean right at the end. And if that was not enough, anothe...

The Best Android Browser

I like everyone used to use chrome on my phone. Well because it is preloaded on to my phone and I also used chrome on my PC. So there was no reason to think otherwise, right? Well, I used to do that before I got into tech. When I was an uninformed user. But you do not need to remain uninformed, as I am here to help you decide which browser is the best for you! Now, if you are heavily invested in the Google ecosystem. then go on keep on using Chrome. By no means is it a bad browser. It is just a tad bit resource intensive. However, if you are open to the possibility of change, then here is the best browser for Android according to me. Brave:   Brave is founded by the co-founder of Firefox. The browser, however, is based on chromium and the blink engine. What this means is that this browser is wicked fast. It looks and feels exactly like Chrome. So Chrome users should feel right at home. But, it lacks the nags of Chrome. For example, it consumes a lot less b...