Skip to main content

Microsoft Land



Recently Microsoft killed of its mobile efforts publically on Twitter. This also meant the death of my favourite mobile OS Windows Phone!

While the news of the death of Windows Phone bought with it sadness, time has managed to make me realise that it was necessary.

The news of the death of Windows Phone was followed by the news of a new beginning. Microsoft launched a news launcher or home screen for Android and announced that it was bringing Edge to Android and IOS! The made it all clear to me, that Microsoft wanted to survive in the mobile ecosystem like a germ. It wanted to feed off the already established mobile platforms to keep its services alive.

It made me ask myself, Why did Android and IOS succeed? The answer: Apple was the first one to the party. Google, however, succeeded for a completely different reason! Google won because they provided services which were popular among the masses. Think about it Google had Gmail, search and YouTube. Three services which make our life tick. They capitalised in these popular services and launched a mobile operating system, to bring their services to the hands of people. Not only that, by rejecting to bring their services to other platforms, like Windows Phone, they have continuously crippled them. Eliminating competition and strengthening their grip on the mobile market.

It showed me how Microsoft has taken a page from Google's playbook and is finally concentrating where it should!
The New launcher and Edge builds on the plethora of apps that Microsoft has made for Android and Apple. And these apps, if they succeed, might allow Microsoft a chance to pull off a move like Google.

Launch a new operating system yet again with the best experience of their services!

And Microsoft's intention is quite visible. I adore the new Microsoft launcher. To me, it provides the best home screen experience on Android! The look is clean, it allows me to customise by using icon packs and the feed is a neat way to put away all your widgets to get useful information from them in one place!

This launcher is also heavily hooked to Microsoft services. The clipboard feature, which allows you to seamlessly copy your files onto your PC, is powered by OneDrive. The universal search is powered by Bing. And since I have switched to Microsoft launcher, it has also managed to persuade me to switch to Cortana, as my primary and only assistant! Similarly, I switched to OneNote and OneDrive. The Office suite by Microsoft and Outlook were already on my phone. I would call it mission accomplished for Microsoft. It has somehow managed to get me into their ecosystem.

Edge is only going to capitalise on this and further get people onto the blue side. Edge is still in beta, but I like what I see. The continue on PC feature will be a major selling point. And how it is easy on the resources on both PC and phones is just icing on the cake.


Microsoft provides good services and they have now decided to back them up with terrific Apps! Apps like outlook, which is hands down the best mailing app on any platform and the excellent Microsoft launcher are only signs of what is to come!

The future looks bright for Microsoft if only they don't mess it up! And maybe when its services are popular enough. We might see that Surface Phone!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cat is no more !

The best free torrent client for android is no longer the best ! Today I received an update for Cattorent the and ad free torrent client which I used to use and recommend to my friends and family. Excited to come across a new feature I updated the app immediately, however pure horror was waiting for me. While updating I noticed a new text below the install button called "contains ads" and nothing was same anymore !

King Arhur the legend of misfortune !

King Arthur the legend of the sword: Before it was slaughtered by the critics', this was supposed to be an origin story for our hero Arthur portrayed brilliantly by Charlie Hunnam and is directed by the Sherlock Holmes Director Guy Richie. Richie tries his best to tell the story which has been told by several others before him in a new and interesting way. To his credit, he even achieves that to some extent. The movie tells the story of Arthur son of Uther, who is raised in a brothel and has grown up to be a thug of some sorts. Later on, he discovers he is the true king. A reality which he is not willing to admit. The movie feels unusually grounded, even though it is filled with mages and giant Elephant and an Octopus lady. Guy Richie gives the viewer reason to care for our protagonist and even creates a good antagonist in Jude Law. Jude Law plays the uncle of Arthur and the killer of his father. The build-up to the big fight is gripping and the supporting cast is stellar.

KG please don't make me go through this again F!

Hello readers, I have been down and out for what? A year maybe. But, fear not I am back again and will again claim to publish new blogs frequently! So, I for some reason decided to try a film of the Kannnada language. That film was called KGF. The film is about a rebel who is born into poverty with only his mother (whom he loses early in the movie.). The movie is the first part of the two parted series. The sequel will release sometime I don’t know when. Now, let’s talk about the movie. The film fails to live up to the hype big time! The pressure from the society is what drove me into watching this “masterpiece”, only to find the same old Indian movie formula baked again with different actors. The story has been told several time, it is by no means new. Furthermore, the direction is poor and jarring at best. The action scenes are age old, hero making goons float with one punch, the acting is loud and tone deaf. The side characters have no layer, no motive. The villain is t